• “Monkeys,” Susan Minot. (a novel in short stories)
• “The Five Forty Eight,” John Cheever (short story)
• “The Train,” Raymond Carver (short story)
• “The Bath,” Raymond Carver (short story)
• “A Small Good Thing,” Raymond Carver (short story)*
*All two of you devoted readers will note that back in the first week or so of school I was reading these last two stories, but this time they are for a different class.
• “The Things They Carried,” Tim O’Brien. (short story collection)
• “An Adirondack Passage,” Christine Jerome (travel narrative)
I’ve been kind of erratic with these lists of what I am reading, so when I say “this week” I mean that in the most general sort of way.