List the Top 10 books that have had the most impact on your life.
Your entire life. From the time you first started reading – or were read to by your parents – to the present moment. Which books (and by extraction, writers) had the most influence on you?
This is tough! But I’m up to it.
1. Breakfast of Champions or Slaughterhouse Five, Kurt Vonnegut (i couldn’t decide!)
2. Cat’s Eye, Margaret Atwood
3. The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
4. Slouching Toward Bethlehem, Joan Didion
5. Video Night in Kathmandu, Pico Iyer
6. Norwiegan Wood, by Haruki Marakami
7. The Chronicles of Narnia series, C.S. Lewis
8. Kitchen, Banana Yoshimoto
9. In Cold Blood, Truman Capote
10. Woman Warrior: Memoirs of a Girlhood Among Ghosts, Maxine Hong Kingston
Some others that I’d hate to leave out:
Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger; Kate Chopin’s The Awakening; A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeline L’Engle; On the Road, Jack Kerouac; Jitterbug Perfume, by Tom Robbins; and something by Judy Blume (though I no longer remember which book I liked the best).