1. Today is election day. It’s one of those quiet election days, in which we in San Francisco vote on whether to have money become available for this or that, and the candidates running for various offices are all running unopposed. When Aaron wakes up from his nap, I’ll walk him to my local polling station, which happens to be in someone’s garage. I’ve written about that here before. I don’t think I’ll ever get used to voting in a garage. I just picture somewhere more …civic.
2. I’ve been writing my “F is for …” post for the Alphabet: A History meme.
3. Yes, I should have been working on my NaNoWriMo novel instead.
4. It’s Day 3 of NaNoWriMo, and I’ll admit it: I’m behind. Already. On the first day I cranked out 3,000 words only to reopen the document on Day 2 and cut most of it out. I wrote so quickly I didn’t realize I’d been blah-blah-ing backstory instead of creating in-scene action. This is not to say the cut material is useless – it informs what’s coming — but it certainly put me a bit behind in the word count. I don’t mind that so much, as I see this more as a writing exercise than anything else. I’m just trying to get in the habit of writing a lot. Every day.
5. My dog, in an apparent fit of jealousy, stole one of Aaron’s favorite stuffed toys while we were out this morning, then in an unprecedented act of vindictiveness, took it outside and rolled it around in the flower bed so it got nice and dirty. He then dropped it on the living room rug, leaving a vacuum cleaner-necessary sized pile of potting soil.
6. I’m now on Twitter. As far as I can tell, Twitter may be more distracting than the worst of all other Internet distractions and could quite possibly contribute to my never doing anything ever again. Other than that, it’s great.